In this modern era, there are various facilities that can support one’s hobby. There are various hobbies that people can do, from cooking to hiking and one of the activities that most young people pay attention to is mountain climbing.
Mountain climbing activities are one of the activities that are widely carried out with various purposes ranging from refreshing to research. However, the majority of young people who carry out this activity make the mountain a place to unwind and even though the purpose of climbing is not for research or learning, the process and tools used during the climbing process remain the same.
There are several cool outdoor tools that were created to facilitate outdoor activities such as mountain climbing, camping and so on. With the rapid development of technology today, there have been various updates being made in various fields including the field of survival.
Talking about survival, a thing that one can’t miss is a multi tool. As the name implies, the tool is designed to be versatile, capable of doing various technical works like opening screws, cutting materials, or even opening bottle caps. Due to the recent technology, we can have more portable tools that are easier to store, easier to carry, but still able to work miraculously.
Previously we talked about the best Leatherman multi tools, and this day’s gonna be the same again. This time, it’s the Signal that’s facing the Wave Plus, our previous favorite. Which one of them could be the winner?
Leatherman Signal – $ 219
Our previous product is back, and smashing again with its stylish design. What we look at the Leatherman Signal for the first time, the inevitable aspect, is the sleek design. Leatherman went the other way this time. Instead of bringing the hardcore survival design, tehy have adopted the clean and modern-looking design on Leatherman Signal. That’s why, many would consider it to be a gift, since it has the value to be a gift with its pricey look.
| ||Leatherman Signal ||Leatherman Wave Plus
|Product Dimensions||5.2 x 3.6 x 1.8 inches||4 x 1.5 x 0.8 inches
|Shipping Weight||9.6 ounces||11.2 ounces
|Best offer||Check price||Check price
But instead of how neat the look is, the Signal’s still capable of doing basic multi tool functions including cutting, sawing, screwing, and others. It was designed to be a basic survival multi tool that already completed with everything you need, even the diamond-coated case for blade sharpening.
It’s pretty obvious that Leatherman was targeted for the portable knife market, since Signal is already very thin. It’s strongly thin, thanks to the durable aluminium case that’s famous for its amazing durability and lightness. Please do remember that this one, unlike many other competitors, was designed in America. Like any other Leatherman multi tools, Signal will give you a full 25 years guarantee.
Even though it was designed to be a decent survival kit, most people would likely think of Leatherman Signal as the most suitable tool for basic camping needs. The body is incredibly light, 7.5 ounces, with additional clip for easy carrying. Since it’s lighter than most multi tools out there, the body and tools might have “slimmer” materials with them, unlike the stronger and bigger tools that tend to have firmer materials.
Even though it’s small and light, it doesn’t mean it’s useless. Signal is a decent multi tool, even though for non-hardcore survival activities. You can still depend on its portability, and safety. The safety part of Signal is supported with a lock that’s securing saw and knife from unwanted openings. But there’s still a lack in it, the serious one. When opening the knife, you can simply press the thumb press, opening the knife immediately. The thing is, you need to give a space around your thumb, so once the knife is opened, it won’t cut your thumb off. Sounds extremely terrifying, but still very practical. Read also: Gerber Dime vs Leatherman Micra.
The bottom line is, Signal is great, a decent multi tool that’s guaranteed its quality, even though it won’t be pretty useful against much harder work. Pushing its boundaries would give a slight worry since it wasn’t supposed to be like that. But for all the light adventurers, Leatherman Signal can be a nice choice.
Leatherman Wave Plus – $ 99.95
Previously we talked about how great this updated version of the original Wave that was launched older than 2018. As expected from Leatherman, once again, Wave shows great premises to the waiting users.
Many years of innovating has led Leatherman to the newer Wave. There are some noticeable changes you may find, including the bit holders for screwdriver, as well as the sleek modern design that’s brought to this Wave Plus.
On the general specification side, Wave Plus still carries on some similarities from the original one. For example, the size is still the same 4 inches long, with 18 various tools ready to use. Right on the outside, there are four different tools that can be used without folding up, like the serrated knife, blade, saw, and the diamond coating.
The blades, 420HC knife blades are located on the outside with a handle that’s 2.9 inches long. There’s two of them there, with one being the serrated knife. Operation is made simple with one hand control, and completed with a safety lock as well.
Leatherman Signal Vs Wave Plus
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The Signal combines everyday functional tools with new outdoor features. With tools like a fire-starting rod and an emergency whistle, you'll be prepared no matter what nature throws at you.
- FIT MORE FUNCTIONALITY: A variety of pliers, wire cutters and stripper, knife, saw, hammer, a variety of bit drivers and wrenches, bottle and can openers, carabiner, safety whistle, ferrocerium rod, diamond-coated sharpener, and awl with thread loop.
- LET'S BE PRACTICAL: Sometimes you only have one hand to spare. The Signal only requires one hand to open and use all the tools, even the ones that aren't accessible from the outside. And with all locking features, you can multitask with confidence.
- ALWAYS ON HAND: The Signal is equipped with a pocket clip and carabiner so it's always within reach and ready for adventure. Clip it on your backpack or in your pocket.
- READY FOR ANYTHING: A fresh upgrade to our most popular multitool; Now includes premium replaceable wire cutters for tackling jobs tough, big and small for years to come
- INSTANT TOOLKIT: Packs a quiver of 18 tools, including pliers, replaceable wire cutters, wire stripper, knives, saw, spring-action scissors, ruler, can & bottle openers, files and screwdrivers
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product that leaves our factory in Portland, Oregon; That’s why we offer our 25-year warranty, so you can be confident your Leatherman lasts a lifetime
- ONE-HAND OPENING: You only need one hand to open and use the compact Wave Plus, even the ones that aren't accessible from the outside
Yet again, the battle between the great multi tools still wasn’t able to find the definitive winner. Choosing a greater one among these wonderful tools couldn’t be decided in one take. There are so many factors to consider, especially the personal ones. Even though the choice is always yours, we want to give a few words regarding the Signal and Wave Plus.
Leatherman Wave Plus is a worthy upgrade, a versatile, unique-looking multi tool that’s capable of doing various worlds in the range of outdoor activities and EDC. Signal however, is tend to be the stylish multi tool that can be trusted for light outdoor activities like camping, scouts, etc.
The price is also a deciding factor. Wave Plus comes with all its greatness at a fairly affordable price, much more affordable than Signal that’s comfortably sitting at 200+d dollars. So, with the information provided above, we hope that you can find the best one for you.